Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Joy the Baker Chocolate Brownies with Whipped Butter Cream Frosting

Yes, another brownie recipe. I have been frantically pinning on Pinterest and I have noticed a disturbing trend, all of my recipes are either filled with sugar or cheese. Obviously this one is filled with chocolate and sugar.



I have been a follower of Joy the Baker for some time now and see her beautiful recipes and creations all over blog land and Pinterest. After seeing these brownies countless times I decided to order her beautiful cookbook and then to make a few things, these brownies are the first recipe I tried.



If you like chocolate, and I think you might because otherwise you would not be reading a blog called Once Upon a Chocolate Life, you will LOVE these brownies. They are chocolaty, filled with chocolate chips and then over the top with whipped chocolate butter cream frosting.



Chocolate Brownies
adapted from Joy the Baker

Ingredients:

3/4 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup of butter
3 oz unsweetened chocolate
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 egg yolk
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup chocolate chips



Buttercream Frosting:

3/4 cup of butter softened
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp salt
21/2 to 3 cups powdered sugar
2 tsp milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/3 cup malted milk powder (Kraft, Ovaltine, etc)

Directions:

Grease a 8x8 inch baking pan. Set aside. Preheat oven to 350.

In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder and salt.

In a over a double boiler, melt the butter and the chocolate. Once melted stir to incorporate. Remove from heat, add brown sugar, and granulated sugar. Mix. Add eggs, and yolk and vanilla. Mix well. Add flour mixture and FOLD together until well incorporated. Do not over mix. Then fold in chocolate chips. Pour into prepared pan and bake for 25-30 minutes until skewer in center comes out clean. Cool completely and then frost.




Frosting:

In a stand mixer, cream together butter, cocoa powder and sugar. Mix for 3 minutes on medium.

Turn off the mixture and add the powdered sugar, turn mixer on slow otherwise you will have the powdered sugar everywhere. Add milk and vanilla. Scrape down side and continue to mix. In separate cup, add your malt powder or Ovaltine to the heavy whipping cream. Add slowly to the mixture to desired consistency. I did not use all of the cream.

Use 1/2 of the frosting to frost the brownies. Save the rest for another project.





These brownies are scrumptious! I loved them, and the frosting is creamy, rich and has a hint of malt. If you do not like malt than leave it out.



Do you have a favorite brownie recipe? I would love to hear it. I am always looking for new recipes. Thank you to all of those who send me emails to say they have tried the recipes. I am not the source of the recipes, and I always site the place I found the recipe, but I love when you come back and tell me you made something you saw here or on my other blog Pine Cones and Acorns or what changes you made.

I hope you have a great day! Enjoy a little chocolate!

P.S: Joy's cookbook is available on Amazon and her BLOG is beautiful. I am in awe of her wonderful photographs and her sunny personality.

Linking to:
DIY by Design
Savvy Southern Style
Stone Gable
No Minimalist

5 comments:

Faith said...

This recipe is making my mouth water! The brownies look perfectly moist.

Cathy said...

This is one of my favorite brownie recipes and that frosting is to die for. I think brownies are on my baking list for the weekend.

Anonymous said...

They look really delish.....
I am going to have to try them.

Southerncook said...

Oh YUM, now I am craving chocolate brownies.

Carolyn/A Southerners Notebook

Six Sisters said...

These brownies look so delicious and moist. -The Six Sisters