Tuesday, August 20, 2013

The S'Mores Cookbook by Susan Whetzel

Good morning! I recently received a copy of The S'mores Cookbook by Susan Whetzel writer of the blog DoughMEssTic and I will state right from off that I love it! After all, what is not to love about a cookbook that combines marshmallow, chocolate and graham cracker's?


S'mores to me shout summer vacation and all of the things that come with it, lazy days at the beach, catching fireflies and of course sitting around the campfire after a day of swimming, canoeing and hanging with friends.



As I paged through the book I was transported back to Girl Scout camp were one of the highlights of the weekend was walking in the woods to find the perfect stick with which to roast our marshmallows that night. Then on to other evenings as my siblings and I sat around the fireplace with similar sticks making s'mores on a cold winter night in Wisconsin. It is amazing how food has the ability to transport us back to special moments.


The S'mores Cookbook contains over 50 recipes combining the traditional elements of s'mores; toasted marshmallows, chocolate and graham's. For die hard traditionalists, you will find a few recipes like that in the book, with Rolo's and Reese's Peanut butter cups replacing the Hershey's chocolate and they are a delicious twist I can tell you. 


In other recipes the essence of a s'more is there but not what you would expect. There are recipes for breakfast like oatmeal and French toast as well as cakes, pies, puddings, macarons, ice cream and even gifts!



If you are a s'more lover than this book is for you, and if you are new to s'mores than you will enjoy the beautiful images and recipes as a wonderful introduction into the world of chocolaty, marshmallowy goodness. I have already made several recipes and will be posting them this week!

Note/disclaimer:

I was given this book by the publisher. The review and opinions are my own and were not influenced by them. 

1 comment:

greenthumb said...

I have never had a S'Mores, something we see on the TV, some of those recipes look great.