Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Fleur de Sel Hot Chocolate


According to the ground hog we have a few weeks of winter ahead and this week it is back vengeance here in my neck of the words. The cold has returned as have the winter winds making it the perfect weather to stay in, watch movies, read and drink hot chocolate. 

I love hot chocolate, chocolate chaud, drinking chocolate, and every other hot drink made with velvety chocolate and cream. My morning beverage is  French chocolat chaud but I do like to try variations on that recipe.

This week I decided to try a Fleur de sel chocolate chaud, otherwise known as sea salt hot chocolate. I love the salty sweet combination of chocolate with salt. Although I have made salted brownies, salted caramels and several other salted desserts I have never made salted hot chocolate so I thought I would try it.





Fleur de Sel Hot Chocolate
Recipe from David Lebovitz

5 oz. quality chocolate Valrhona Dark Chocolate 72%
11/2 cups whole milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
1-2 Tablespoons of brown sugar 

Garnish
Whipped cream
Chocolate Shavings 


Heat milk and cream over medium heat in a small sauce pan. Finely chop the chocolate and once the milk/cream mixture comes to a simmer remove from heat and add the chocolate. Stir until the chocolate is dissolved and then return to heat and whisk for a few minutes to thicken. Once finished add sugar to taste and if you would like to kick it up, a shot of borbon or Bailey's Irish cream. Pour into mugs top with whipped cream, shaved chocolate and a pinch of Fleur de Sel de Guerande Sea Salt. Typically I make a double batch and put whatever is leftover into pitcher, it thickens up considerable and tastes even better the next day. 

Then sit down, relax and enjoy!

This recipe is easy and delicious, I hope you try it.


Note: I used Valrhona Araguani Dark Chocolate Bar 72% because it is easy to find but use whatever chocolate that you like. And I use Fleur de Sel de Guerande Sea Salt  because it is a brand recommended by David Leibovitz one of my favorite cookbook/bloggers/chefs.


Linking to:

Between Naps on the Porch
Dwellings
SaveSave

No comments: